Selasa, 03 Januari 2012

USING MODALS IN TELEPHONING


—  REQUEST
—  OFFERS
—  COMPLAINING
—  DEALING WITH COMPLAINING
—  MAKING ARRANGEMENT
TELEPHONING
In telephone business we should use modals when make conversation. It is necessary in order to sound polite.
Telephone Tips
—  Speak slowly and clearly
—  Make sure you understand the other speaker
—  Practise with a friend
—  Use businesses and recordings
—  Learn telephone etiquette (manners)
—  Practise dates and numbers
MODALS
Using modals in telephoning business in order  to sound more polite. Example:
—  Could                                                    - Ought to
—  Would                                                  - Should
—  May                                                       - Shall
—  Might                                                    - Had to, etc
                In polite question, people usually use modals May I, Could I, and Would you like to.


Modals in Request
—  May I ask who is calling, please?
—  Could you give me the invoice number, please? 
—   Would you like to leave a message?
—  Would you like to be put through to his voice mail?
—  Could you help me?
—  Could you say it again more slowly?
—  Would you pass the salt please?
—  Would you mind waiting a moment?
—  Could I speak to...?
Modals in Request
—  Could I speak to Jason Roberts, please?
—  Could I take a message?
—  Would next Wednesday be okay?
—  Could you repeat that, please?
—  would you mind spelling that for me please?
—  May I speak to (name) please?
—  Please could I speak to (name)?
—  I’d like to speak to Mr Green, please.
—  Could I speak to Fred please?
—  Would you mind waiting a moment , please?
Modals in Offers
—  We would be happy to ...
—  Would you like us to ...
—  We are quite willing to ...
—  Our company would be pleased to ...
—  Shall I help you with your luggage?
—  I'll do that for you if you like.
—  May I help you?
Modals in Complaining
—  I would like to express my dissatisfaction with ...
—  I have to complain about ...
—  I would like to say that please note that the goods we ordered on (date) have not yet arrived.
—  I would like to say that we regret to inform you that our order n°--- is now considerably overdue.
—  I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high. 
Modals in Dealing with Complaining
—  I'm sorry to have to say this but...
—  I'm sorry to bother you, but...
—  Maybe you forgot to...
—  I think you might have forgotten to...
—  Excuse me if I'm out of line, but...
—  There may have been a misunderstanding about...
—  Don't get me wrong, but I think we should...
Modals in Making Arrangements
—  Would three o`clock suit you?
—  That’d be fine.
—  Would next Wednesday be okay?
—  Would Friday at 8 p.m. suit you?
—  Saturday at 6 p.m. would suit me.
—  How about tomorrow morning? Would suit you?
—  In  Monday morning be better, could  you?
Other Situation
►Making contact
—  Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon ..
—  This is John Brown speaking.
—  Could I speak to .......... please?
I'd like to speak to .......... please. 
—  I'm trying to contact ..........
►Giving more information
  •  I'm calling from Tokyo/Paris/New York/Sydney
  •  I'm calling on behalf of  (Mr. X ...)
►Taking a call
—  X speaking
—  Can I help you?
►Asking for a name/information
—  Who's calling please?
—  Who's speaking?
—  Where are you calling from?
—  Are you sure you have the right number/name?
►Asking the caller to wait
—  Hold the line please
—  Could you hold on please
—  Just a moment please
►Connecting
—  Thank you for holding
—  The line's free now  ..... I'll put you through
—  I'll connect you now / I'm connecting you now.
►Giving negative information
 
—  I'm afraid the line's engaged.   Could you call back later?
—  I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment
—  I'm sorry.  He's out of the office today / He isn't in at the moment.
—  I'm afraid we don't have a Mr/Mrs/Miss ... here
—  I'm sorry.  There's nobody here by that name.
—  Sorry.  I think you've dialled the wrong number. I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.
►Telephone problems
 
—  The line is very bad.  Could you speak up please?
—  Could you repeat that please?
—  I'm afraid I can't hear you.
—  Sorry.  I didn't catch that.  Could you say that again please?
►Leaving/taking a message
 
—  Can I leave/take a message?
—  Would you like to leave a message?
—  Could you give him/her a message?
—  Could you ask him/her to call me back?
—  Would you like him/her to call you back?
—  Could you tell him/her that I called?
—  Could you give me your name please?
—  Could you spell that please?
—  What's your number please?



Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar